Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Mirrormask

A few months ago, I muttered something about a movie screening. This was it.
Mirrormask, the first film from longtime collaborators Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean (Sandman, The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish, Violent Cases) is a visual feast. It is a project that strongly resonates with their past efforts even as it expands their vision into three dimensions. Fans of Gaiman's prose and graphic novels will recognize character archetypes and stylistic themes. Meanwhile McKean's aesthetic, with its elements of exquisite beauty sharing space with the macabre, has been expanded to fit this new format without losing any detail in the rendering. The film is an achievement all the more impressive because of the budgetary constraints; financed like an art-house project, it has been edited to feel like a blockbuster.



Spoilers? Yes and no. Do I give away the ending? Not really. But I give away other stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home